Friday, October 9, 2015

October 8, 2015


October 8, 2015

I already mentioned that three dimensional work was not a consideration when I first started preparing for this show one year ago.  So I had not been going to garage sales and looking for possibilities.  However, as a mixed media artist, I have a gigantic space full of potential treasures.  (This is the reason that this new house is perfect for me.)  I started looking among the stash and found a violin.  Violin = music, a nice match.  But what 60s song do you think of when you think violin?  I asked my daughter, Lisa, and she said “Eleanor Rigby.”  Of course.  What a depressing song.  Who wants to buy depressing images?  Well, I hope that someone does, because that is the only song that I could come up with for the violin.  First I painted the violin with purple and grey shades, then I studied the song lyrics for images.  The front of the violin has the church and a cemetery scene with only Father McKenzie present at Eleanor’s burial.  The back of the violin has Eleanor (faceless) with her face in a jar—no, make that 7 faces in jars by the door to choose from.  I decided that she could choose her mood and expression for the day by picking a face.  I have already been told how warped my sense of humor is.  Actually I really think that my humor leans toward stating the obvious which is what I do for the Family Album cards.  If you look at them closely I am only picking up on what the picture shows and verbalizing it.  With the violin I took the words at face value and created an image to go with them.  Come to the Prairie Art Alliance to see this and other unusual 3D pieces which I will tell about in the week to come.  Again, the show runs from October 17 until December 3. 

No comments:

Etsy Shop